Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Walker add-ons

Outside of class, I'm involved in an engineering club called Tetra. The goal of Tetra is to solve engineering related accessibility problems for the elderly or the disabled. It's a great club to be able to help real people as well as practising engineering skills and design applications that we learn during class. During the course of the year I was able to work on a project that modified the walker of an elderly woman so that she would be able to carry a food tray on it safely, while maintaining the original function of the walker. It was a great project to work on because it allowed me to practice the design processes that I had been introduced to during my courses in first year, and allowed me first hand experience with stakeholder interaction. Because we were able to meet with the grandson of the user in question, we were able to ask him questions and form a better understanding to what she wanted done. It wasn't as structured as what was done in an RFP, but I believe that it made my understanding of the project much easier. Below is a photo of the walker that we were working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment