Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CIV Bridge Construction

This a assignment sheet from our much bigger bridge design and construction project. Looking back, there was not much change in the way that I approached this problem compared to the previous bridge problem (see here). My group and I approached it with an extremely similar mindset: find the simplest solution and then use that to accomplish the problem. However, in this project we did look slightly different possible designs. Our first choice was a simple I beam, and when I say we looked at other designs, I simply mean that we looked at variations of an I beam. In that aspect, I feel that I had not learned very much between the first CIV project and this one. But in the aspect of prototyping, I learned a lot. Because we had to construct the bridge that we were designing, we had to calculate how much of the mat-board that we should cut and how much we would be able to use to construct it. So from this project, I drew the importance of the time spent before actually building the prototype - the time spent planning the build. My group had to re-do the calculations for the dimensions of each section multiple times. This seemed to be the most important process of the project and took up the most time and effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment